2012年9月18日 星期二

How to fix your car

The long story started with having trouble rolling down the driver-side window, for several years. 

Last year, the door knob on the driver side started functioning weird. I was worried one day we would not be able to open the door.  So, I sent the car to Toyota dealer (TD) in town.  I did my oil change and asked TD to check the door.  Very soon, I received a call with an estimate $500 ~ $600 to fix the door.   I told the lady I wasn't sure if I wanted to spend that money now, but that I'd pick it up later that afternoon, aand then maybe bring it back later to have them fix it.
When I went to pick up the car, I was surprised to see a $50 charge for checking the door. I had no idea that I would be charged for the diagnosis/estimate. I questioned the charge, and she responded, "The $50 will be deducted from the cost when you bring it back to get fixed."

Months went by.  I called the TD and told them that I wanted to schedule an appointment for them to fix the window and that it was ok to order the window motor.  I asked the costs and mentioned the $50.  The lady responded “it has been too long” so I would not get the $50 off the price.  I told her I was not informed the refund had time limit.  She insisted "can not do it."
So, a friend recommended Hurst Firestone (HF) on the east side.  We took the car there and got it fixed for around $300.  When we picked up the car, HF told us the AXLE & Alternator drive belt need to be fixed.  Considering our out state travel plan, we let HF fixing it at cost around $430.

We ended up not driving the  Toyota out of town after all. So, I have the car.  A month later, I noticed the alignment was way to the right.  A friend recommended Coconino Motor (CM).  Since it is nearby (west side of town), I dropped my car to CM.
CM charged me extra $40 labor cost to "pull the wheel" for alignment and claimed it is beyond normal.  I never heard such a thing.  I have done alignment many times, and never been charged extra. Well, what can I say?  I ended up spent $109 for the alignment.  Meanwhile, CM told me the boot on the AXLE is torn, oil was all over outside the boot.  CM suggested I contact the shop (HF) soon since it might be still under warranty.

I was very concerned then.  
As soon I got my car back, I called HF.  HF sounds very doubtful when I told them what was found.  So, I sent the car to the shop.  Maybe after 5 minutes, I was told the boot was OK, but the seal was leaking.  It’s different issue.  HF told me they will put the cost together and call me with an estimate.
I left HF with a question - Either CM or HF is lying. 

Meanwhile, I felt the alignment seems still toward to the right, but not as serious.  So, I called CM.  CM said sometime the uneven tire would do it, & suggested to switch the left and right tires.  The following Monday, I went to CM at my lunch break.  I asked CM to show me the leaking boot.  So, I had a chance to see the leaking seal and leaking boot (compared to a normal one).
I called HF again.  I asked Bob, the owner, to look at the AXLE with me together, “..maybe you can tell me if it’s defective or it’s normal.”   He agreed.

I gave up another yoga classto go to HF.  As soon as we went under the car, luckily, we could clearly see a hole in the boot.  We both saw it.  No argument this time, and I was promised the AXLE will be replaced.  Also, a new seal will be put up for free.  And someone will drop me off and pick me up at work.  Before I left the shop, I asked HF to balance the tires, maybe check if rotation is necessary.  
I was waiting for the phone call to tell me my car is ready, but no phone call came.  About a quarter to 12, I called HF and asked if I can get the car at my lunch break.  Bob sent someone right away. The driver explained they were swamped that morning…  Ok, fine. I forgive them for forgotting to call me since I could have my car back at the time as they promise.

I walked into the store, and was just about to ask how much cost for the balance, when Bob said they did the rotation also (what? Without asking me? How much would cost me this time?).  Before I said anything, he continued “All the work we they have done today was for free.
I was surprised.  I did not mean to ask them to do extra work for free….  But he did say if car need alignment (or other jobs), bring it back.  Well, I hope my car would not have any trouble for a long time.  So, I just said “thank you” and left the shop.   

Later, I examined the receipt.  There is a hand writing “customer satisfaction warranty.”
Well, I was happy they fixed the seal and balance/rotating the tires for me – I had planned to do it anyway.  But the fact that I had to go to HF twice made me not happy.  Luckily, I went to CM, who tries to find some jobs for themselves, so the issue of leaking boot could be found.  If I went back to FH, the mechanic would not have found it.   Soon or later, we will have to fix the AXLE again. Losing the transition oil may damage the engine.  But I am not very happy about CM a bit too.  They told me the boot “was torn” – that kind of freaked me out.

Both places were recommended by friends.  From these back and forth checking, I learned that the more you know about car (issues), the more honesty you get from mechanics.   Maybe we should always have a second place to check previous job so we know the proper job was done. 
Oh, how about Toyota dealer?  Well, the place is out of consideration after this experience.  I will not go again.

2 則留言:

Dongmei 提到...

姐姐:这段好复杂呀。。。我没有看懂呀。。。

DJJ 提到...

好像寫得有點太詳細了... ^^