2012年11月13日 星期二

Lost a great man

I received the sad news from friends. Mr. Lauger left us yesterday. His leaving was expected, but it came too soon for all of us who love him and respect him. He was an amazing man. I respect him, forever.  

How do I know Mr. and Mrs. Lauger? Here is the short story about us.  

Mr. and Mrs. Lauger are one of the nicest couples I have ever met. When I arrived in Flagstaff for PIE in the Fall semester in 1996, I couldn’t move into the dormitory right away. Luckily, the secretary in PIE, Ann, was a friend of Mr. Lauger. He and his wife were traveling at the time.  So, he opened his home for students to stay for free. I ended up living in the house for three weeks without meeting them. Later in November, I was invited back as a guest for Thanksgiving. It was the first time I met them.  

After Taiwan and Missouri, ten years later, we moved back to Flagstaff. I had a few opportunities to hang out with them a bit. Especially before Bill moved to Tucson because both of their health issues, I would stop by at lunch time to visit with them.   

People come and go; their house has helped lots of people when they needed a place.

No surprise, Mr. Lauger donated his body to the research lab of Alzheimer at the University of Indiana. 

At the end, he still thought about others: how to help people. 

We lost a great man!

沒有留言: